News

Advisory Board Minutes for April 19, 2020

Walnut Creek Seniors Club
Advisory Board Meeting
April 19, 2021

 

Welcome & Call to Order at 9:30 AM

      Approval of Last Meeting Minutes.   Minutes approved.

 

Treasurer’s Report.  Bob Mohler: Creakers are back in business. Unrestricted checking is up from March.  Creakers’ income is also higher.  Registration for Creakers was compressed into March. Bob has started working on income tax return.  May 15th is the normal filing date for nonprofits.  He is expecting a check from the city for the dues they have collected so far.  Our CD is coming due.  Bob made a motion to roll it over for another 6 months.  Jeanne seconded.  Motion passed.  Fred congratulated Bob and the Board for a good balance sheet. 

 

Correspondence – None

 

Manager/Coordinator Update

         Vanessa Cendejas. The building is still being scheduled to reopen in the fall.  The city has been meeting with Meals on Wheels and other groups that used to meet in the building for the fall.  Kat has worked with Lisa Mattone for the travel group.  They have scheduled a group to take a bus trip to Golden Gate Park in June.  The City is sending out a survey to members next week and wants info on what kinds of questions the Board would like added to survey. The city is actively looking at the MOU for signing.

   

Presidents Report.  Ellen Sorbone is theoretically a board member but has not attended a meeting and we are having a problem communicating with her.  Regina is hoping to meet with her this afternoon and will ask Ellen if it is ok if Regina gives Fred her phone number

 

Unfinished Business

            WCSC Secretary: No volunteers

            Newsletter    Robin reported that the Newsletter is almost ready to send out.  Robin wonders if she should list the board members at the bottom of each newsletter.  It was felt that would be a good addition.  She would like to know the names of the board members plus their functions.  Fred will send it to her.

 

           2021 dues collection    Fred thinks we are doing quite well with dues collection.  All of the Creakers and Tennis Club members have paid.  Fred was particularly impressed with Cindy’s figures re the numbers of people who have paid either by check or on the internet.  Fred thinks a lot of people are waiting until the building opens.  Robin says that 577 people have paid their dues.  Jeanne asked if we expect our membership to go up or down due to the new Lyft program.  Fred said you do not have to be a member in order to use Lyft.  There is a lot of resistance to going back to the building IF we are going to have to stay 6 feet apart!  Most groups do not want to go back with those restrictions.  Robin says people are actually refusing to go back to the building with 6-foot restrictions.  The Let’s Sing group has chosen to stay on zoom!  Bob said he thinks things will be different by September.  Kat is making plans for a September reopening.

                           

New Business

      Covid protocols. Everyone got the vaccination protocol that Fred sent (from the Creakers) and wants to know if we should adopt it for everyone.  No decision was made.

 

      Returning to the Senior Center.  September is the tentative reopening date.  Robin said the CDC reports that it is extremely low risk for people to catch Covid by touching.  Fred thinks the majority of groups will not come back to the building until they come back with no restrictions.  Robin mentioned that before Covid, the Bingo group was shoulder to shoulder!  Fred thinks the city is considering the possibility of having the building open less than 5 days per week.  He feels that is why the city is wanting to know which days each group wants to meet.  Cindy wondered if they were trying to ease us out of the building so they could rent to someone else.  Fred doesn’t think so.  Fred said right now we have 9 groups that used to meet in the building and he feels we will probably be down to 6 or 7 groups post-Covid.  Bob volunteered to ask the Trivia group next week how they feel about coming back to the building with restrictions.  Robin feels we should have combination groups both on zoom AND in person.  Regina agreed with Robin and felt we should look into it.  Regarding getting vaccinations, Jeanne said we should realize that not everyone will choose to get vaccinated.

 

 

Pass Through grants. We have had two “Pass through” donations which we are requested to pass on to the City. Do we need a motion? One is a grant for the senior transportation program from John Muir Hospital and the other one is a donation from First Republic Bank for the Senior Club of Walnut Creek. Fred has tried going into First Republic bank to get information about the donation but has previously been unsuccessful.  It was discovered that the bank had made an error in updating the club’s records and did not have Fred as an authorized signer.  This has now been corrected.  There was a discussion between Bob, Jeanne, & Fred regarding the ethics of Kat asking the bank for a donation for the Senior Club without the Senior Club having a copy of her request. The John Muir Hospital grant is $10,000 for the Senior Transportation Program. Fred said the First Republic donation appears to be to fund a city employee to help with the senior citizens of Walnut Creek. Fred feels what Kat is doing is okay because she has told him about it in advance. Jeanne is unsure. Bob was concerned about “unrelated business income.” Fred said he will not sign anything unless and until the Board approves it. He also mentioned that this is the 3rd year in a row we’ve done this. Jeanne said she wants to make sure we have accountability. Cindy & Bob were concerned that we did not have copies of the request to First Republic or a copy of the grant proposal sent to John Muir Hospital.  They were also concerned about “unrelated business income” affecting our standing as a nonprofit group. Bob was also concerned about the potential liability issues associated with the grant, especially since we did not get a copy of the proposal. We are required to sign a grant agreement with John Muir promising, among other things, the proper use of the $10,000 grant and proper reporting and insurance coverage.  When we pay the money to the City, we require that they sign a fiscal sponsorship agreement which basically states that they will hold us harmless for any issues arising out of the grant agreement.  Bob thinks as long as we file the paperwork correctly we should be okay with this particular grant, since it is specifically for assistance to the Senior community. Jeanne feels it’s fine for Kat to try to get grant money for the senior club, but she feels the board should have a copy of what she is doing. Fred feels that as long as he is aware of what she is doing, it is okay. Bob talked some more about “unrelated business income.” He said most people feel 15% (unrelated business income) is the threshold to try to stay under. The $10,000 grant makes Bob uncomfortable from an accountability issue. The issue of the $3500 donation for Spec Rec was raised as a possible accounting issue because Bob feels we can not donate to a non 501c3 organization, which the City is.  Our accounting would have to show the expense as something unrelated to a donation or senior programs.  Bob was unclear about the tax implications.  Jeanne said when she voted to approve this grant she did not realize there might be a problem with the 501C3. Fred says we can legitimately do this but Bob was unsure. Bob said the legitimate way to do this is to have Kat send us an invoice for City Services of some sort. The subject was tabled until next month.

 

Ambassador Reports.   Robin: We have someone interested in leading the investment group.  The Mahjong group is interested in coming back.  PG&E is going to fund Robin’s son to teach Qigong for the city.

 

Rolando said the Walking Buddies are out walking.  Everything looks good.  The walkers all sign waivers for each walk.  Robin said that 15 people downloaded info

 

Donn: Opening day for 2 of the Creakers divisions is tomorrow.  The third division opens on Thursday.  It’s great to be back.  Everyone seems to be enjoying it.  Donn says they have a good PA system and will ask people to spread out for the “opening ceremony.”  Donn will send Robin a photo and a paragraph about opening day.  Donn feels the drone pictures have never been very successful so he will take some pictures himself for Robin.

 

Cindy: See report.  Robin was amazed at everyone who downloaded the coupon.  We will have another coupon this month.  160 people downloaded the coupon.  Robin hopes for more coupons from other restaurants.

 

Meeting Adjourned at 10:48.

Next meeting: May 17, 2021

 

News

Advisory Board Minutes for December 21, 2020

Walnut Creek Seniors Club
Advisory Board Meeting
March 15, 2021

Welcome & Call to Order by Fred at 9:30 AM

Present were Fred Rentschler, Bob Mohler, Jody Johnson, Kent Clancy, Robin Wolf, Jeanne Wolf, Donn King, Cindy Mohler, Regina Harwig, Rolando Salazar, Dave Dredge, Kat Reisinger, Preston Jones, Fred Weston.

Fred introduced Preston Jones who will talk to us about donating money to special needs camp.  Preston expressed his appreciation for the $3500 donation from the Senior Club last year which paid for 10 participants for the special needs camp. Preston will be working with both the Senior Club and the special needs club in the future.  Jody asked about the number of kids attending during the summer.

Previously the camp has maxed out at 30 kids with 10 staff members.  However, last year the camp was organized into pods with 14 kids per pod, which will be done again this year, so the maximum will be 3 pods of 14 kids each for 6 weeks this year.  Kids can sign up for as many weeks as they want.  They range in age from 5-21.  It is quite an undertaking for staff with such a diverse age range.  Each participant must be able to eat and toilet themselves.  If they cannot do that, they must bring an aide along with them.  It is a full day camp from 9-3 each day.  This year they will add swim service for each of the participants.  They will also increase the staff at the pool so they will have a higher ratio at the pool.  There are at least 10 families out there who could use scholarships.  Kat interjected that the camp is the city’s most economical camp and many kids are coming with some sort of financial assistance.  Last year the city was also able to fund raise $1800 which also helped include a couple kids.  People who can afford the camp do not apply for the scholarship.  They staff at 5/1 or 4/1 staff members per pod of 14 kids.

 

Approval of Last Meeting Minutes: Approved!

Treasurer’s Report: Bob has been working hard the last two weeks with Creakers and treasurer’s report.  He sent the income statement and balance sheets to everyone.  He reiterated the major income and expenses for the month.  He filed the 1099 form a month late because the forms arrived to him late.  He has spent a majority of his time registering the Creakers.  Currently there are 161 paid and registered members.  (Last year over 200 people registered at this time.)  Tryouts are tomorrow.   Fred commented that the fields won’t be open till Wednesday.

Correspondence ~ none

Manager/Coordinator Kat Reisinger is unsure of the fields’ availability.  There is a struggle with park maintenance to repair fields so she doesn’t know exactly when they will be available.  The issue is finding the balance between resting the fields to let the grass grow and being able to use the fields. She discussed minibus funding sources.  Wendy’s funding will be ending. Transportation is going on right now but funding ends June 30.  It’s been a y ear since we have been able to run our minibus.  We don’t always have staff to run the minibus.  Looking for grant opportunities. Vaccine clinic at Tice is going very well.  Preston is currently housed there. Future of Civic WCSC building is still not resolved. Everyone is anxious to get back but timeline now is that we won’t be able to get back till fall.

Presidents Report: Fred is planning for the Senior Center to be open in  September. A couple weeks ago Kat told Fred that Preston will start doing the city’s zoom events.  Presently we have 10 people doing bingo and 17 doing trivia.  We’d like to have the senior club take it over but we will need to increase their numbers in order to do that.  Robin will put a notice in the newsletter.

 

Unfinished Business

WCSC Secretary – Fred asked if anyone wanted to become the secretary.  There were no volunteers

Newsletter Anyone who has anything to put in the newsletter should send it to Robin.  We used to have 430 people who read the newsletter and now we have 730.  We are sending out 1200.  We are way above 60%.  Jody helps Robin by writing some articles.  Fred contributes jokes.  Cindy changed the newsletter format so that people could print only one article or one page and we had 70 people who did that.  Thinking about restaurant coupons in the future.  Thanks to Cindy for her contribution.

2021 dues collection: Bob said that over 230 people have signed up on the Perfect Mind site.  We don’t know how many checks have been sent.

Rolando asked about parking permits which we’ve had in the past.  Kat reported that the parking permits will come back when we open the building.

We will not have the membership figures from Carol at the city until the end of the quarter.  David thinks people will resent paying dues when the center is not open.  He thinks we’ve lost contact with all our members.  Robin doesn’t agree because of all the people who are reading the newsletter.  Robin thinks people join as a civic contributions.  Some people are actually asking to pay their dues.  Garden club is getting good speakers and there are many other good things happening.  Jody agreed with Robin.  David says he could agree if he knew how many people had signed up.  Robin says that Carol said 230 have paid as of one month ago.  We are currently over 300 not counting the Creakers.

Kat forgot to mention we are using Peg money from TV to create new learning spaces on zoom in addition to in person for those who don’t want to come downtown.  Bob said zoom is fairly cheap: $15 per month.

Garden Group. Jane West is head of the Garden Group.  Terrific group of speakers once a month on zoom right now. Some people are growing plants in their homes right now to be planted later.  Also, Bob Simmons wanted to extend the Creek walk so he would like a series of mini-gardens and we have just put the first one in.  Plants are small but they should be big by the time we are back in the building.  All are native to CC County.  All were chosen by Leslie Hunt.  The money was raised by Let’s Sing in memory of one of our members who passed away.  When the fields open up we will have members come and work in the fields.  Robin goes to the building daily to water the plants but she needs the code to be able to get water at the building.  Kat is working on it.

New Business: Jeanne thinks we should donate the same amount of money to the special needs camp as last year.  Bob says any amount we donate will come out of reserves.  Jody moved that we donate $3500 to Preston & Jody seconded the motion. The motion passed 8 yes, 1 no. Kat will let Bob know where the money should be sent.

 

Creaker application update: Creakers have been told they can start playing in the next 2 weeks.  Bob, Cindy and Don have been doing an incredible amount of work in preparation for this.  Don said he has been shuffling players to accommodate those who are not coming back.  They are using tractors and farm equipment to aerate the infield.  He feels they are ready to go.  The teams will practice for about a month before they begin the season.

Fred: Creakers have developed a protocol regarding Covid which he thinks the Senior Center should copy. Fred will send it out and the board will discuss it next time. Vaccinations are considered experimental so we cannot require anyone to get the vaccine. Also, there are some privacy issues with regard to asking people whether they’ve had the vaccine.  The greatest issue, as Fred sees it, are the players who are under 65 who cannot get the vaccine yet and are most vulnerable to getting the disease.

Kat says the city found a program which they will be using for the camps which will be sent to every camp participant every morning.  Each camp participant will need to click on and answer 3 questions, and their answers will approve (or disapprove) them to be safe in camp on that day.

Ambassador Reports: Robin, Qi Gong has more than 20 participants each month. Jody said she still gets asked about travel quite often.  Fred is hopeful that we might do something regarding travel together with Pleasant Hill.  Rolando is planning to begin Walking Buddies the second week of April.  He has written something for the April newsletters.

 

PROS Commission: Fred Weston announced that he has sold his home in WC and is in the process of moving to Tucson, AZ, so this will be his last meeting with the Advisory Board.  He will be greatly missed and everyone wished him well.

Meeting Adjourned at 10:53.

 

Next meeting: April 19, 2021

News

Advisory Board Minutes for November 16, 2020

Walnut Creek Seniors Club
Advisory Board Meeting
November 16, 2020

Present:  Fred Rentschler, Jody Johnson, Bob Mohler, Jeanne Wolf, Rolando Salazar, Kent Clancy, Cindy Mohler, Robin Wolf, Dave Dredge, Donn King.  Also in attendance were Fred Weston from PROS and Dorothy Mussey, Regina Harwig and Ellen Sarbone –WCSC members and potential Board members. Kat Reisinger – staff.

Continue reading “Advisory Board Minutes for November 16, 2020”

News

Advisory Board Minutes for October 19, 2020

Walnut Creek Seniors Club
Advisory Board Meeting
October 19, 2020

Present:  Fred Rentschler, Jody Johnson, Bob Mohler, Jeanne Wolf, Wayne Slater, Rolando Salazar, Cindy Mohler, Robin Wolf, Dave Dredge, Donn King.  Also in attendance was Fred Weston from PROS and Dorothy Mussey, Regina Harwig and Ellen Sarbone –WCSC members and potential Board members.

Continue reading “Advisory Board Minutes for October 19, 2020”

News

Advisory Board Minutes for July 20, 2020

Walnut Creek Seniors Club
Advisory Board Meeting
July 20, 2020

Present: Bob Mohler, Cindy Mohler, Robin Wolf, Donn King, Wayne Slater, Jody Johnson, Jeanne Wolf, Dave Dredge ,Rolando Salazar, Fred Rentschler.

Also in attendance were Kat Reisinger, Vannessa Cendejas (staff) and Fred Weston (PROS).

Continue reading “Advisory Board Minutes for July 20, 2020”